(RED LOUNGE RECORDS)
Midnite Snaxxx are like the quintessential cool girls of high school, in an alternate garage-punk universe. Clad in tough leather jackets, singing with a Nikki and the Corvettes-cherry-topped snarl (they even played with Nikki Corvette this summer), creating rock'n'roll Ramone-esque pop hooks, and hitting the shit out of those drums — they positively explode on their debut self-titled LP in tracks like "Spend the Night," and slow things down sweet on noisy rock ballads such as "In Your Eyes."
And why shouldn't they? The budget rock trio is made up of musicians who've played previously in Trashwomen, Bobbyteens, Cyclops, and Loudmouths (and, full disclosure: Guardian staffer Dulcinea Gonzalez). The album cover already deserves a slot next to iconic covers of yore: the Who's The Who Sell Out, or, more to the style, Bowie's vibrant Aladdin Sane. The pop art illustration of a hot dog with a dripping ice cream scoop plopped in the center looks satisfying, sugary, and messy, much like the act itself. Snacktastic.
Most Commented On
- WOW - June 17, 2013
- e-cigs ban - June 17, 2013
- Thanks for this article! - June 17, 2013
- Useful knowledge is required - June 17, 2013
- I am from the SC County which - June 17, 2013
- "our new mayor"? is this a - June 17, 2013
- Not just young people, but - June 17, 2013
- Thanks! - June 17, 2013
- All daft and no punk - June 17, 2013
- I knew there was something I liked better about Garcetti - June 17, 2013